Vegan smoothies are a quick and easy way to get your recommended ‘five a day’. When making smoothies the blender is your friend. Smoothies are extremely healthy, containing live enzymes and vital vitamins and minerals. They are healthier than juices because the skin of fruits and vegetables is left intact which is the roughage your digestive system needs. Smoothies make you feel healthy and both physically and mentally invigorated.
1) At this time of year I have numerous apples on my trees. A good way to use them up is to make an apple smoothie. I just blend two apples with the core removed, with a frozen banana and a handful of ice cubes with some soya milk and apple juice to taste. For extra protein I might add some sliced almonds.
2) Another way to use up apples is to mix up two apples, 4oz oats, a carton of soya yogurt, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, enough apple juice or soya milk to give the correct consistency and some blueberries if in season. This is a great portable breakfast smoothie and really quick to make in the blender.
3) To speed things up even more I recommend you freeze fruit when it is in season (or on offer in the supermarket) such as bananas, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, peaches and mangoes. You can core and peel apples and peel bananas before you freeze them. Then when you want to make your smoothie, select your fruit from the freezer and put into the blender; cover with fruit juice, coconut or soya milk. If you make the same recipe with fresh rather than frozen fruit, simply add some crushed ice cubes to the mix.
4) A good smoothie with anti ageing properties features avocado since avocado has benefits for the skin. Simply blend half a peeled avocado with the stone removed, four tomatoes and some coriander and black pepper to taste.
5) For a touch of luxury make a strawberry and cream smoothie when strawberries are in season by simply blending strawberries and milk together, adding enough milk to make the desired consistency. For this I would recommend coconut milk. If you use frozen strawberries you can make a batch of this and freeze it. For a special treat you can add alcohol of your choosing to make it into a ‘cocktail.’